Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Factoid from Milford's Past

This is from page 170 of the History of Milford N.H. 1738-1901 by George Ramsdell.

1805. Caleb Jones died April 16, aged seventy-nine years. He was one of the early settlers locating upon the Mile slip soon after he became of age, and was one of the most eccentric persons ever residing in town. He planted and cultivated a cherry tree for the purpose of furnishing boards for his own coffin. After it had grown to sufficient size, he cut the tree and had it sawed into boards, from which the coffin in which he was buried, was made. He was succeeded on his farm by his son, Zadoc Jones, who in turn was succeeded by his son William, who now occupies the ancestral acres.

I first read this passage a couple of years ago, and it has stuck with me ever since. It's hard to imagine anyone doing something weird like this today.

I can just picture good ole Caleb looking out the window of his house and thinking to himself, Gee, I just had a great idea! I'm going to plant a cherry tree out there right now, and then cut it down in twenty years and make my own coffin!

I think that he took the old saw "If you want something done right, then do it yourself" to a new level.

No comments: