Sunday, July 29, 2007

Colonel John Shepard Bridge





The Colonel John Shepard Bridge (commonly known as the Stone Bridge) is one of the more notable landmarks in town. There have been a number of bridges in that spot since the very beginning of Milford history, with this one being very quaint. I like the architecture of the bridge as it seems to fit the town well.

Some historical plaques were added to the bridge a few years ago. These plaques list some of the more notable citizens from Milford, with names representing various eras from the beginning to more modern times.

I have been passing by these plaques for the past few years and I have been curious about the background for each one. I am familiar with many of the names since I am one of the few people to have read the Ramsdell - History of Milford, N.H. 1738-1901 from cover to cover. However, I do not know the background of some of the newer names and I'd like to find out about them.

I presume that most people in town are not familiar with the story behind the names on the plaques, so I thought that it would be helpful to give a brief overview of each one. I will create a separate posting for each person as I have time, and as I learn their story. Some of the biographies are well documented in Ramsdell, but the others may be more difficult to find.

I do not know the background of the plaques. I suspect that they were installed by DO-IT or other similar group, but I just don't know. If anyone knows who installed the plaques and how they chose the particular names to be memorialized, then please let me know.

This is the information on the plaques that are posted on the bridge. Although there is no plaque for him, I have also included Colonel John Shepard since the bridge is named for him.

Colonel John Shepard

1706-1785
Miller





William Crosby
1758-1831
Benefactor & Citizen
Humphrey Moore
1778-1871
Clergyman
Hutchinson Singers
Mid 1800's
Advocates & Musicians
Mary A. Lull
1832-1910
Doctor & Benefactor
George A. Ramsdell
1834-1900
Governor & Historian

Carrie Cutter

1842-1862
Nurse & Heroine
Albert E. Pillsbury
1849-1930
Author & Benefactor
George A. Worcester
1852-1941
Involved Citizen
Lucy "Gertrude" Howison
1873-1958
Community Servant
Alberta Hagar
1889-1985
Teacher & Historian
Harland Holt
1908-1995
Dedicated Citizen

3 comments:

Peter Bragdon said...

Harland Holt, I believe the name is.

Paul Dargie said...

Peter, you are correct. I have updated the original post with the correct first name of Harland Holt.

When I was typing in the names for the posting, I had just talked to my wife about a family named Howland, and I erroneously swapped their last name for his first name...I think that was my first senior moment.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.